Handicap Access on Kiawah Island
The beach is the perfect getaway for many – sand, sun, and surf all come together to create blissful memories. From new parents watching their children’s eyes light up the first time they experience a gentle wave, to those who have spent their entire lives coming back to this same beach year after year.
Whether this is your first or fiftieth trip to Kiawah Island, we want to ensure you have an enjoyable trip, regardless of the level of accessibility you need.
Most accessible Vacation Rentals on Kiawah Island
At Kiawah Island Getaways, we have vacation rentals at a number of different locations. The most accessible buildings on the island for people who have a problem navigating stairs are the Shipwatch building and the Highrise at Windswept. Both buildings offer a ramp from the parking lot up to the elevator. Each room is accessible by elevator and no stairs are required to reach the entrance to the building or to the villas themselves.
Windswept is located in East Beach, near the Night Heron Park. The Carmel Cottage, The Escape, The Mariah, and The Penthouse are all fantastic vacation rentals with close proximity to the Highrise at Windswept.
Ramped Beach Access on Kiawah
There are a number of boardwalks to Kiawah’s beaches, however most have steps. The ramped beach boardwalks on Kiawah Island are:
- Boardwalk 1: Located at mile marker 0.20, this handicap accessible boardwalk is at Duneside Villas between villas #1116 and #1118.
- Boardwalk 5: This private boardwalk is flat, smooth, and located within walking distance from Shipwatch Villas. It is only accessible to use for those staying at Shipwatch. It is at mile marker 0.56.
- Boardwalk 9: This ramped boardwalk is located adjacent to the property owners’ pool at mile marker 0.80.
- Boardwalk 10: Another nearby handicap accessible ramp is at mile marker 1.10, located off of Eugenia Ave., between Eugenia #21 and #23.
- Boardwalk 12: Also off of Eugenia Ave., between Eugenia #41 and #43A, this boardwalk is at mile marker 1.33.
- Boardwalk 18: This ramped boardwalk is located between Mariners Watch and Windswept.
- Boardwalk 22: Located inside Windswept Villas Highrise at building #5100, this ramped boardwalk provides handicap access directly from the compound to the sand.
- Boardwalk 27: You can find this ramped boardwalk at the 1st entrance of Turtle Point Villas on the west end.
- Boardwalk 30: Found at mile marker 3.00, you can access this boardwalk from Nicklaus Lane between properties #9 and #12 on the east end.
- Kiawah Beachwalker Park: This park is open to the public and is located at the west end of the island. Both the ramp and boardwalk are wheelchair accessible. Do note, they charge admission to use this section of the beach and their amenities.
As an alternative to a day to the beach, there is also handicap access to the river and marshland. The ramp is located at the Kiawah River Bridge near the entrance to the island. Here, visitors can enjoy bird and wildlife watching, fishing, and crabbing.
For additional information or specific questions about handicap accessibility for each of our properties, please contact us directly.